Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

The town of Westgate was founded in 1887, and the library was first written about in 1890.  an 1897 news article stated, "A library has been added to our town."  However, nothing more was found about it until 1939 when the Westgate Womens Federated Study Club founded the library through donations from these dedicated women's personal books.  A committee of three, Stella Latimer, Mirnada Kollman, and Leona Potratz were appointed to draw up the rules and regulations.

Library entranceWestgate is proud to have a city library, currently located behind the present fire station which was built in 1898. The library contains over 5000 titles, subscribes to over 15 magazines, has three computers for the public to use at no charge with high speed Internet.

The library recently expanded hours to better serve the people of Westgate and Fremont Township. The library had maintained less than ten hours for the past one hundred years. We are now open 20 hours a week! The library has over 120 people visit the library each month and the number is growing!

 

Currently, the library is planning a building project to expand the roughly 600 sq. ft. to over 1000 sq. ft. The new library will have Main Street access and visibility!Exterior View of New Building

Interested in more  history?  Check the Iowa Historical Society.